Monday, September 05, 2005

A Lesson for all Leaders

Recently I made comments about the devastation in the southern US and made reference to a racial injustice - with people of color being faced with the worst and hardest realities. In response, a friend (Who shall remain nameless) sent me an email challenging my point of view. Part of what he wrote is:

"Just to the north and east of New Orleans are communities of all races (particularly white) that have simply been wiped out. I talked with friends from the area this evening and one lady that is a leading government official in Mississippi. She told me they expect the death count to possibly reach as many as 30,000 to 40,000 people…..with these being from all races. The tragedy of New Orleans is not a racial issue, but a sign of a nation’s ill preparedness for disaster. This would be true if it were Halifax or New Orleans. We can simply no longer ignore the threats created by natural or man caused disasters."

As this is a site for differing points of view I felt compelled to share this. It proves the point that opinions based on little or no fact are dangerous if not potentially suicidal! I was wrong and too quick to jump to conclusions based on my liberal, Canadian opinions of the current US adminstration. While i do disagree with many of the decisions made by the current Bush administration I will hold judgement on this current disaster and hope that, with all politics aside, we band together to ensure all those impacted have our love, our support and our commitment for a better tomorrow - for many tomorrows to come.

This is a lesson for all leaders to learn!

No comments: