Sunday, February 12, 2006

What Am I Looking For?

Received a comment on the last entry asking "What is leadership to me?"

Good question and one that deserves an answer. While this blog is called In Search of a Leader - you are right to ask the question and determine the factors I use in my ongoing search.

First, you need to understand that my past has given me the opportunity to work with some of the most interesting leaders of our day.

My entry into politics came early as a "Cowan Raider" trying to generate support for then Nova Scotia Liberal Leadership contender and now Senator Jim Cowan. During that time I witnessed and worked with such political heavy weights as Guy Brown(former MLA - NS), Roger Bacon (Former Deputy Premier -NS) and others.

I then moved to "Mecca" (Toronto), where as a journalist I covered the demise of David Peterson and the political rise (and fall) of Bob Rae.

I was able to then move back to Atlantic Canada where I eventually went to work for Frank McKenna. In addition I have worked closely with election campaigns for Jean Chretien and Paul Martin.

I have worked with countless municipal, provincial and federal politicians, community leaders, social leaders, religious leaders and youth leaders in my capacity of journalist and then communications consultant.

Finally I have been a student of politics and political campaigns my entire life.

I spend this time to let you know where my personal views were formed.

Now that the history lesson is over, "What does leadership mean to me?"

First, a leader does not have to be a politician, although in the current system it's the quickest way to have impact on the lives of Canadians

- A leader is one who first and foremost listens. Listens to members of his or her party, listens to special interest groups, listens to the loudest and the smallest voices, but most importantly listens to the general sentiment of Canadians as a collective.

- A leader is a great communicator. This is the biggest part of the job. They need to get ideas across, inspire people to take action and defuse when emotions run high.

- A leader is one who is not afraid to put their careers on the line standing up for what they believe in.

- A leader is one who lives with compassion, conviction and commitment.

- A leader understands the needs of those without a strong voice and includes and protects them.

-A leader understands when it stops being about those represent and more about themselves - and get out before that happens.

Finally a leader, regardless of their position, their responsibilities and their affiliation, has the ability to inspire those they lead to rise up and do for themselves, to make their situation better, to improve conditions for everyone.

These are my liberal views of what a leader should possess. I've found elements of these in some, but not enough. The search will continue.

No comments: